This is the day the Lord has made let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

Monday, June 9, 2008

Post #2

Normally, I don't post twice in 1 day, but I need some help. I have been making cakes for sevral years for my kids birthdays and for things we have at church. It is something I like to do, and people keep telling me that I should start making cakes for $. I made this cake for a party we had at church and everyone said why don't you start doing this for $.
This just keeps coming up, so I think I am going to put it out there and see what happens. I have NO idea how to advertise or anything. This is where you guys come in.
What advice can you offer me as I start this process. Where do I start? I know I need a name for this so, I thought I would list a few and you guys could vote. I know several of you have your own home based businesses, so PLEASE give me some feedback! I have posted a few of my favorite cakes. I make my own yummy(if I do say so myself) decorator's icing so everything tastes very fresh. What would you be willing to pay for one of these cakes? I have no idea about price and the only places that I know of are 2 grocery store bakeries in town and 1 private bakery. Anyway, thanks for all your help!
Here is the name list:
#1 Cake Creations; #2 Amanda's Cakes; #3 Cakes by Amanda; #4 Cakes Galore; #Cutie Cakes
Which one do you like? If you come up with something better, please let me know. I am open to whatever!

5 comments:

GammySel said...

Cutie Cakes is cute-

As far as advertising- you could put flyers and cards up in grocery stores, flower shops, and wedding shops.

May the Lord bless your new adventure!

Your Siesta
Angie

Amy Beth @ Ministry So Fabulous! said...

I am so very impressed! You have got TALENT, girl!

I'm looking forward to meeting you in San Antonio. :)

Donna @ Way More Homemade said...

siesta visiting you...

I'll say this about the cake thing... I spend so much time and effort on my cakes that for what people would be willing to pay, my hourly rate would be so low that it made me decide that as a business I didn't feel like it was worth it. But I look at it that way... you know the business side of me says, "What's my return on investment?"

I certainly don't want to discourage, because you do great work, and if you can do it in a reasonable amount of time and keep expenses low, then go for it.

I just posted my son's 3rd b-day cake on Friday. I love making them, but it just takes up so much time and energy for me that it just wouldn't be worth it to do it for $.

I hope I get to swap some cake stories in San Antonio with you!

Michelle V said...

Amanda,

You are very talented! Those are beautiful! When I was growing up my aunt did that for extra money and she stayed busy on word-of-mouth. Let word get around at church and with families you know. I agree with Angie to make up some little flyers that you can put around.

I'm praying for you!

Michelle

Emily said...

Hey! I am a fellow siesta visiting you and I love your cakes! I have done these types of cakes myself and thought about doing it for money too. That is a good question as far as how long it takes you to do each one. I used to stay up until like 2:00am finishing mine for my kids! But maybe with a focused plan of time management for doing this, it would be a fun business adventure. I am not sure how much people would pay...maybe $30.00? I have no idea. Word of mouth through church friends etc. would be great because then maybe you could go ahead in baby steps and not get too overwhelmed as you are figuring out all of the details.
I also like Cutie Cakes :)
See you in August and I'll be visiting again soon:)